Although classes in Elden Ring don’t really matter as much as in other games. As no item is locked to any particular class. And you can level any statistic up at any point. We still came up with great suggestions for weapon swaps and upgrades that feel like natural upgrades of Wretch’s starting gear. So if you like running around with huge clubs, sacrificing all your defenses for offensive capabilities, and looking downright scary in any PVP setting. Then this Elden Ring “Best Wretch Build” is definitely for you.
Wretch is a class that should definitely be avoided by anyone not experienced with Elden Ring! The class offers some great versatility for building it further, as you start a level 1. A completely clean slate compared to other classes that already have some stats distributed towards certain stats. This slate then can become a mold for a great many builds, either for PVP, speedrunning, or other very specific things. Wretch starts out completely naked! With no armor of any kind or shield to boot. The weapon you are given when selecting this class is the club. Which is as basic as a weapon gets. It deals ok damage and swings pretty fast. It deals blunt damage which is a bonus. As there are few weapon types capable of doing so in Elden Ring. Let’s now look at the Elden Ring’s best Wretch builds and early game tips.
Best Wretch Build in Elden Ring
- Large Club – Well, this one is quite obvious. Why hit people with a stick? When you can hit them with a REALLY big stick? Scales with Strength. High Strenght characters will definetly benefit greatly from the scaling this baby provides. It can be also found extremly early in the game. But the 22 Str requirement might prevent you from using it from the get go.
- Battle Hammer – Another great representative of the Warhammer category, much like the Large Club. It scales with both Str and Dex. It will also crush anyone in your way. This baby can be found in Northern Limgrave. Which is the “second-half” of the first area of the game.
- Brick Hammer – Another cool option for Str-focused Wretch. Or you can even consider this an upgrade from the above weapons. This Warhammer scales crazy good with Str, but at the same time 31 base requirment of Str stings a little! Can be found withing Stormveil Castle. Which is the first legacy dungeon in the game.
- Beastclaw Greathammer – This one is an interesting proposition for anyone into Str/Fai hybrid. Found quite late in the game sadly. As you will need to collect 7 out of total 9 deathroots in Elden Ring! Which is quite time consuming. But you are rewarded with an awesome ash of war unique to this Warhammer called “Regal Beastclaw”. Which sends out a shockwave in front of you after slamming the Beastclaw Greathammer into the ground. Super cool stuff.
- Varre’s Bouquet – Speaking of super cool stuff! This unique hammer-type weapon looks like a lovely bouquet of roses. But it definetly has thorns! So not only is the game just goofy and stylish at the same time. It scales with Dex and Arc, which is super weird. But it also has a nice Ash of War called “Blood Tax”. Which lets you unleash a flurry of thrusts in front of your character. And each hit steals some HP from the target and transfers it to you! Which can be crazy useful in certain situations.
- Hiding behind a shield is not the way of the Wretch! Two hand your weapon at all times instead. And leave those left hand slots empty so you can save equipment load for your big bonk sticks!
- Armor Sets
- Again. Being clothed/protected goes against every principle of the Wretch. You should strip yourself of all earthly posessions and place all your faith into the bonk stick. That being said. There are some great primal-looking sets in the game! And if you must wear something, be sure it is one of those:
- Mushroom Set(combined Weight 12.1) – This stylish statement communicates to your foes clearly, that you are one with nature. And your big stick then clarifies, that said “nature” is “violence”. Great pick for a Wretch!
- Champion Set(combined Weight 13.4) – Starting gear for the “Hero” class. Can be found very early in Limgrave. Makes you look like a rustic barbarian. Exposed chest and belly area to expose your rock-solid body. Good choice if you want to still have some defense and live that “big bonk” life.
- Shaman Set(combined Weight 11.5) -Much like the Champion Set, this one allows you to communicate you savagness to anyone after one good look. Can be found early in Siofra River under Limgrave.
To experience true Wretch life, it is best to use Warhammers, hammers and wear only rustic rags. But you can stray from the path of a Savage any time and run around with a greatsword, cast magic, or anything you really want! You can also experiment with different bows or arrows to gain the much welcome versatility. Don’t forget to use both hands when wielding your fight sticks. Not like you have a shield to hide behind anyway. Consider my upgrades, but who am I to make you do anything? I probably don’t have a club this big in my arsenal.
- Most Important Atributes To Level Up
Brute Strenght is the forte of any immersed Wretch. But not wearing any heavy armor also usually gives you nice fast rolls, which you need to use to your best ability anyway to stay alive! For advanced weapons, Srentght is a great asset. However, you shouldn’t neglect your Endurance and Vigor. Having a good amount of HP is a great thing.
This guide covers the best Wretch builds in Elden Ring. If you ever get lost and stray off the path, you can always come back to us. We have excellent guides for Elden Ring, many informative posts about requirements and tips. And build for classes such as the Samurai. Do not be afraid to seek some help! The game is seriously tough.